Comprehensive Internal & External Wayfinding The Holt School, Wokingham
The Signage Brief
First impressions are everything, and The Holt School wanted us to help make theirs perfect.
We were tasked with creating impressive entrance signage, and external wayfinding throughout the school to match it.
Here’s a look behind the scenes at the Butler service.
“Our designers then came up with a cohesive scheme... utilising The Holt’s recognisable blue, teamed with a modern, highly legible font.”
Design & Consulation
Our work began with an onsite audit to establish what was needed.
The Holt already had some wayfinding signage in place, but it was patchy and in several different fonts and colours. The design of their signage was outdated, and the materials were in need of a refresh.
We surveyed the entire campus, measuring spaces and discussing options. All this would help us create a map of the school’s needs and give us inspiration for the design of their signage.
Our designers then came up with a cohesive scheme and a family of signage designs. The signs utilised The Holt’s recognisable blue, teamed with a modern, highly legible font.
We created something that would work on a massive sign, as well as on small signage around the campus.
There were particular challenges to consider for this site, including:
• The entrance needed to be seen from both directions, and it was on a bend.
• Around the entrance were several low-level obstructions – a fence, gates, and pillars.
• There was no frontage advance of the fence to place the sign on.
• There were multiple site entrances, rather than a single main one.
• Delivery drivers and parents were constantly ending up at the wrong entrance.
• The site as a whole was very disconnected, like a rabbit warren, and it was difficult to navigate for children and staff.
Once the design had been finalised, we created a comprehensive proofing document – a list of every single sign, their designs, and a map of their locations. This was our Bible as we put everything in place. Before our installers even arrived on-site, the school team knew exactly where every sign was going, the benefit of each one, exact costings, and a concrete timeline.
Entrance & Wayfinding Signage
Entrance Signage Spec
• To address the tricky location of the entrance we chose a V-Shaped sign that could be seen by traffic from both directions.
• Mounted on elongated posts, it could be seen above the level of the fence.
• The sign itself was custom fabricated with a triangular rain cover and mounted on square posts.
• It was powder-coated and branded with vinyl graphics in school colours.
Shaped signs and rain covers are quite unusual, so the final result was a modern take on a traditional sign style – perfect for The Holt.
So that we didn’t disrupt a busy site, we coordinated with the management team to install the sign during the school holidays. Any ground pipes and electrical services were identified, and we consulted with the management team on final positioning.
Then, making sure we had adequate post length in the ground, we used cement for a permanent ground fixing.
Wayfinding Signage Spec
• Throughout the site, wayfinding signs were designed to fit within The Holt’s brand guidelines.
• The signs themselves were Aluminium Composite Panels (aluminium on the face and back, with plastic in the centre).
• The text was in a clear graphic print so that it could be read from a distance.
• The signs were finished with High Pressure Matt Lamination for durability.
The End Result
Working in partnership with the school, and our expert team created stunning signage for The Holt, suitable for their unique location. We improved the navigation of their complex site and gave a cohesive feel to their campus with consistent colour and fonts.
The Holt School has unique and iconic signage that will ensure a top-of-the-class first impression for decades to come.